Last week site works commenced on our block. By yesterday, the site survey should have been completed and the concreters should be in this week to pour footings for our retaining walls on the canal side of our home. Once the retaining walls are completed, the concrete pool will be installed, then it will be time to lay the slab. I had a quick chat to the “Starts Manager” last week, who let me know the immediate plans. So, from the moment of the installation of the builder’s sign, it has been all action. Suddenly I’ve been checking the weather on a daily basis, hoping for good conditions for whomever has work to do on our block.
And, because I’m still excited, I thought we’d have a bit of blog fun…
My sisters have been busy over the last few years creating adorable children. My Mum likes to heighten the anticipation of a new grandchild with guessing competitions. A few months out, we guess gender, name, date and weight of the soon-to-arrive baby. Just a little bit of fun, with my Mum promising a bottle of champagne to the winner. Then she wins.
In keeping with this spirit, (I know houses and babies are not quite the same,) let me introduce House By The Water’s first (and probably only) competition.
WIN a bottle of West Australian bubbly!
Guess the handover date.
Here’s the conditions of the competition:
- Handover date is defined as the day that the builders give us the keys to our house in return for our final payment. (The final payment is due within 10 days of practical completion. Practical Completion means works is completed, apart from any omissions or defects that may be found at the Practical Completion Inspection.)
- The winner is the person(s) who selects the handover date correctly, or is the closest to the correct date.
- To enter, leave your guess in the comments section of this blog post or on the House By The Water Facebook page.
- If the winner is local, they may choose to drink their prize on House By The Water’s deck. If the winner is not local, I will try my best to get the prize to you, but if you are residing in Saudi Arabia, I’m going to have to come up with a substitute prize. If you are one of my favourite overseas home-building bloggers, be warned, I may deliver the prize in person.
- The competition closes in one week from today, on Tuesday July 15th at 9 pm (West Australian time).
- The winner will be announced on this blog and on the HBTW Facebook page within one month of the handover date.
- Webb and Brown-Neaves employees and their families are not eligible to enter.
Here are some clues:
- We specified on our Preliminary Plans Agreement that the house should not be completed before July, 2015.
- Our building contract states that “Time to complete works” is 315 working days (from which exact day, I’m not too sure). This does not include Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays. Good luck calculating that one!
- Don’t forget it’s a double story house.
May the luckiest reader win!
ENTRIES FOR THIS COMPETITION ARE NOW CLOSED.