August is Tradies National Health Month. As luck would have it, I have some shining examples of Tradies demonstrating healthy work habits on site at House By The Water.
(Photos thanks to our Site Supervisor.)
- Team work.
- Beautiful weather conditions.
- Upright backs.
- Area cleared and bricks delivered close to work.
- Sun smart hats.
- High visibility shirts.
- Eskies, presumably filled with water for good hydration.
- Use of carts.
- BYO microwave to reheat leftovers. (No hamburgers for lunch for these Brickies.)
- Some kind of metal teepee that is surely an ergonomic device???
I’m giving these fellas 10 out of 10. I hope they enjoy dangling their feet over the canal wall as they take their lunch breaks this week.
When I’m not galavanting around the world and obsessing over house building, I’m a physiotherapist. I’ve seen a few painter’s shoulders and brickie’s backs over the years. It ain’t comfortable! Without harping on the message, here are my tips for keeping a Tradie’s body in good working order.
5 Top Tips for Healthy Tradies:
- Be fit. Physical work doesn’t always count. Regular exercise reduces stress, helps you sleep, increases energy and is great for your heart.
- Take time to think about the task before you do it. Work smart.
- Little things can add up to big problems over time. Watch out for repetitive work and poor postures.
- Look after each other. Share the load. Ask for or offer help.
- Speak up. If something doesn’t look safe, say so.
And for a good laugh for everyone, take a look at this short video clip: S#!t Tradies NEVER say.