Well more of a cupboard really, but anyway….
There is a generous space under our stairs, accessible from the kitchen, that we are calling “the cellar”. I looked up a couple of DIY instructions for converting a cupboard to a proper cellar, you know with temperature and humidity control. Oh my goodness, it’s way easier just to drink the wine!
Over the years, the “Nice Wolf” has managed to purchase a small wine fridge or two, when I wasn’t looking. This cupboard is for them. We’ll also use the space to store all our glassware, drinking paraphernalia (margaritas are a serious business) and any overflow from the pantry. We are going to need some shelving and, since the door is glass, it needs to look good.
If you have a real underground cellar, then little more than several cases of wine is needed to create a nice atmosphere. But for a cellar cupboard, my web search revealed very little to get me in the mood for a party. Never-the-less here are some of my favourites:
HBTW’s cellar mood board:
- Wooden book cases that we already have. (Minus their ornate edges, plus some extra internal structure for easy access to any wine bottle.)
- Wine crates as drawers to hide the less beautiful items.
- Vintec wine fridge.
- Open shelves for glassware.
- The Nice Wolf’s homemade cork board. (Yes, we can be very daggy sometimes.)
- Black pendant light. (This is a maybe. I’m starting to wish I included more pendant lights instead of down lights on our lighting plan.)
- An off-cut of caesarstone for a small bench top.
What would you do with a spare cupboard under the stairs?
Do you have a space dedicated to wine, beer or cocktails?
Has anyone tried those cooler drawers?
And most importantly, what should House By The Water’s signature drink be? I’m thinking blue.