Every woman and her dog writes a blog these days. There are literally thousands of blogs documenting home building, renovation and decoration but with a bit of sifting, you can find a good community of like-minded people sharing tips, referrals, encouragement and inspiration. A couple of friendly home-building bloggers sent their readers my way and posed me some questions.
Let me introduce:
- Trixee, half of a motivated duo building a modest but glamorous solar passive home in Perth, from Eco Home Style.
- Sheilzy, a go-get-em chick who’s building a Metricon home in Sydney, from Our Hudson.
- Kerrie-Lee, the world’s most patient builder’s wife, who is building a very stylish home in coastal NSW, from eternalicons.
Thanks for the plug, girls!
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started my first blog 4 years ago when we moved to China for the interest of our extended family. I enjoyed keeping a record of expat life and playing with words. I caught the blog bug.
2. What are your favourite 3 blogs and why?
- Spacecrush – I only recently discovered interior stylist, Jane Ledger’s blog, and the timing is perfect for me. Jane, who is Perth based, shares her passion, knack and skills for interiors with unusual generosity. I’m lapping up her “how to” series of articles such as “How to hang art” and “Choose the right sofa”.
- House Nerd – You already know I love House Nerd for her rambling stories about interesting homes, DIY projects and local creatives in Western Australia. Maya always keeps it real and affordable and I’m guaranteed a laugh, often at Maya or Mr. Nerd’s expense. Maya reminds me that I’m glad that we are over the reno phase of life, but that it was good for us!
- Third place was tough- so I’m going for a tie between The Design Files, for wholesome Aussie homes with lots of heart and character, and Planet Deco for an endless supply of beautiful homes, mostly from Europe .
3. What’s your favorite post that you’ve written and why?
40 decades of houses because it was such a nice trip down memory lane.
4. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
The connections made with readers. We are helping each other blunder our way through home building. The banter is fun and the tips are helpful.
5. How do you find things to blog about?
Somehow I always have at least one month’s worth of blog topics up my sleeve. Ideas come to me naturally as part of the building process, often while I’m doing the dishes! So far I’ve resisted writing the: “I can’t wait to have a dishwasher” post.
6. What do you hope to achieve from your blog?
- Make sense of the building process.
- Make good decisions by “thinking out loud”.
- Maximise the enjoyment of the building process, however remote I may be.
- Keep the builders honest!
7. Describe your favourite meal.
One large salad with beetroot or mushrooms and goat’s cheese, and a cold glass of Margaret River white wine, please. Served here:
8. If you had a day to do anything you want, what would you do?
I would go homewares and furniture shopping in Melbourne with Aunty Kate (my sister). We would, of course, have an unlimited budget. We’d meet my Mum and my other sister for lunch at Cumulus Inc to drool over the lamb and the interior design.
9. What are your current obsessions?
Blue, preferably dark and moody. Linen. Australian made furniture. Oh yeah, and that small thing called building a house.
10. In 5 words describe your interior style.
Relaxed, modern, Australian, earthy, light.
Normal blogging services will resume next week.
Edit: News just in from Webb and Brown Neaves. Second floor brickwork is still not quite complete. The roof carpenter is expected to start next week.