Our “house by the water” will be based on the “Rubix” plan by builders Webb and Brown-Neaves. We played with the standard plan for a few months, making adjustments to suit our site, taste and family size. The most obvious change we made is to the roof line. We’ve selected a “coastal elevation” which softens the look of the house. Other changes include increasing the size of the dining room window, changing sliding doors to stacking doors, changing the design of the kitchen bench to accommodate 5 stools and turning the study into a 4th bedroom. We also added a laundry chute, an external door to the powder room (for poolside access), a 900mm freestanding oven, space for a chest freezer, and provision for future gas fireplace, gas to the alfresco dining area and water for an outdoor shower.
(Edit. Floor plans removed for privacy reasons. Sorry!)
What we love about this plan:
- The void space above the living area.
- Open, rear living.
- Plenty of windows to the canal view.
- An indulgent kitchen space, including the scullery.
- Plenty of space to add storage/cabinetry to rooms later.
- Plenty of room left on the block to enjoy the outdoors.