To end a month of celebrations and self indulgence, I’m sharing my Top 40 favourite pictures of homes and gardens. I thought it would be a cinch to post my favourite pics, but it has actually taken me all month to pull this together. I’ve included all the links to the photo sources, so if you see something you like, click a little further and you’ll often find pictures of the whole house. When you get to the end, leave a comment to let me know which photo you like the best.
Top 5 Houses that I just keep coming back to look at:
- Previously rentable via One Fine Stay, this New York apartment was renovated by Athena Calderone from Eye Swoon.
- A little on the sparse side, but I imagine this house to be very similar to HBTW once we put timber floors in. Somewhere between the extremes of the house above and this one is where I’d like to see HBTW’s aesthetic lie.
- An irresistible entrance and home amongst the trees. This house says “Australia” to me.
Storrs Road Residence by Tim Stewart Architects. Source: Home DSGN.
- Bondi home with a beach vibe, without being obvious. I love the splashes of blue with white and wood. The brick walls are original.
Source: Trends Ideas.
5. And, if I wasn’t starting with a new build – I’d want a warehouse, or a barn to convert. This Amsterdam loft conversion is just the ticket:
Picture source: Vosges Paris.
5 Best of the West.
For more details and pictures of all 5 of these Western Australian homes, check out one of my favourite blogs: House Nerd.
- Cambuild’s “light, white, wood-filled house“. Inside and out, I’ll take one of these, please.
- The “rustic modern house“:
- Jeremy’s house was designed around a marri tree and some special needs. I wish all kids with special needs could have a house like this.
- The Old Stone Farmhouse is a piece of rural Australian history. It’s filled with goodies old and new, many of which you can purchase on the owner’s website, Cranmore Home.
- House Nerd has a special radar for interesting houses. This spacious living area was once a church.
Top 5 Kitchens from around the world.
- One from South Africa:
5. And, the United States of America:
Top 5 Backyards
- This garden by Tim Davies Landscaping belongs to the original “Rubix” display house – our house plan.
- There’s so much I love about this Melbourne back yard; the decking, the timber “soldiers”, the pizza oven, the brickwork, all designed around the tree.
- From Punta del Este, in South America, my ideal outdoor kitchen and dining room.
- With similar “back yard” space to us, this Sydney yard has always stuck in my mind. The fish pond and pool connected by a “jetty” is such a unique touch.
- This garden is in the U.S., but it would look equally at home in Australia. Rust for the outback, big trees for the bush.
5 rooms I love.
- Sofa ✔ timber floors ✔ single grey wall ✔ art made from material ✔.
- A master bedroom that manages to be light and moody all at the same time.
3. Probably any room from this house could make it onto my Top 5. Check out the whole house, it’s full of nice surprises. The stand outs for me are the art, the large windows and the floral additions.
4. I like my light and I like my trees… you might need high fencing between neighbours for this one. The house to which this bathroom belongs is probably not what you’d expect.
5. A delightfully welcoming hallway:
Top 5 “Australian-made” showcases
- Mark and Louella Tuckey’s home, filled with Mark Tuckey‘s Australian made furniture and relics from an Aussie life.
- Jan Juc house showing off custom made cabinetry and Aussie-made sofas.
- This award winning Australian house was met with mixed feedback in its unfurnished state. I think the view speaks for itself. Here it looks modern and homely with Australian-made furniture from Domayne:
- Inspired by and built into the sand dunes near 13th Beach, this house is a beautiful work of art.
- Have I already mentioned that I love Melbourne? Fitzroy is the place to be. Australia’s answer to New York’s loft conversions. So cool.
Top 5 “By The Water” houses
- My kind of beach house. Relaxed.
On the New South Wales Coast. Source: Desire to Inspire.
- A villa in Majorca.
Source: Planet Deco.
- Not your average display home….
- Jaw-droppingly beautiful grounds on the Mexican coast:
Photo source: Freshome.
- Somewhat extravagant, but I could do it if I had to:
Top 5 spaces for “my next life”.
- As a child I will grow up in this bedroom:
- I will, of course, be French!
- I will have chooks and a veggie patch large enough to be self sufficient.
- And, probably a very expensive oven where I will bake ’til my heart’s content and never get fat:
- Then laze in my outdoor bathroom.